Brazilian mango aims to open China and boost the development of its domestic market

The Brazilian mango market is very active and dynamic, with a large international dimension and is in constant search for new markets, for which we have interviewed Tassio Lustoza Silva Gomes, Executive Manager of VALEXPORT, Association of Producers and Exporters of Horticultural Products and Derivatives of the São Francisco Valley, who explains the challenges faced by the Brazilian mango industry.

Tassio Lustoza Silva Gomes has a degree in Human Resources Management, with specialization in Foreign Trade. He coordinates the Mango Export Programs for the United States, Japan, South Korea, Chile and South Africa.

Objective: The Chinese market

The executive manager of VALEXPORT emphasizes with respect to the opening of new markets that “we are very interested in the Chinese market, because it is a market that has enormous interest for our mangoes.  Brazil was successful, with the performance of ABRAFRUTAS, National Fruit Association of Brazil, in opening this market for our melon, we are in a queue to offer mangoes to China, the second product is the grape, and then there is our mango. It may take at least five years”.

The sector in figures

Mr. Tassio explains that “in Brazil we have 67,000 hectares produced with 1.4 million tons per year, which gives an average productivity of 20 tons per hectare. Of this total, we only export 250,000 tons, the rest stays in the domestic market”.


Regarding the chapter of challenges and challenges, our interviewee comments that “one challenge we have is the concentration of mango harvest in certain periods, for example, in the second half of the year, when mango is very concentrated and prices are complicated here in Brazil”.

“We have another great challenge, which is to disseminate technology among producers in general, because the medium and large producers are prepared, but the small ones are not so much, and we want to bring more accessible technology to producers,” says Mr. Tassio.

“In addition, production costs in Brazil are very high and this is a great challenge for our mango sector,” emphasizes the Executive Manager of VALEXPORT.

Strengths and Weaknesses

Already addressing the area of strengths and weaknesses of the Brazilian mango industry, Mr. Tasio points out that “in our region, in the San Francisco Valley, our fruits have a great quality internationally recognized, as well as we have a favorable exchange rate to export, and the consequence of COVID 19, more fruit and vegetable products are being consumed, and among them, of course, mango”.

Regarding the foreign dimension, he adds that “70% of our mangoes are destined to the European Union, mainly to Holland, Port of Rotterdam, Spain, United Kingdom, Portugal and Russia, and the remaining 30% is destined to North and South America, mainly to the United States, Canada, Argentina and Chile. We already ship to Japan, South Korea and the United Arab Emirates”.

Russian and UAE markets

Our interviewee emphasizes that Russia and the United Arab Emirates are two very important markets for Brazilian mangoes. In this sense, he comments that “these two markets are very important for Brazil, because we produce mango all year round, and we have very varied destinations, and Russia is a very large market and we can send a lot of mango, and they are two very interesting consumer countries. Although we have been sending reduced quantities and we are continuously looking for new markets that are more accessible to our exporters. For example, we are thinking about Mexico is a country that produces a lot of mango, but there are periods where they do not have, and it is a market that we can act, and other nearby markets, in which we can work, in South America. We are interested in Peru at the moment”.

Reproducir el articulo